Stamperland Church Organ
There are two organs in Stamperland Church. One of the instruments is a pipe organ by Lewis & Co Ltd., which was built in 1897 and installed in Regent Place Church, Dennistoun, Glasgow. The instrument was transferred to Stamperland in 1962 where it was installed by James Mackenzie and recommissioned in 1964.
The Lewis pipe organ was awarded a Historic Organ Certificate Grade II* by the British Institute of Organ Studies in January 2017 in recognition of its importance to the national heritage as a significant, surviving example of Lewis & Co's late 19th century output to a design of Alfred Hollins and retaining the original patent combination key-touches. 1897 was a significant year in the history of Lewis & Co and was the year in which the great organ of Southwark Cathedral was built. The Stamperland organ would have been under construction in the same workshop and at the same time as the cathedral instrument. Four years later, two of the great organs in Glasgow - the instrument in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and the instrument in the Bute Hall at Glasgow University - were built by Lewis & Co.
The British Institute of Organ Studies Grade has various grades of Historic Organ certificate.
Grade I is for an organ of exceptional interest.
Grade II* is for particularly important organs of more than special interest.
Grade II is for organs of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them.
It is apparent that our Lewis organ is of national importance and that we should
seek to ensure it is maintained in good condition.
Our Lewis pipe organ requires requires a significant amount
of maintenance and refurbishment work to restore it to its full potential.
In 2016, Mr D P Mathews of Harrison and Harrison prepared a
report on the organ which can be viewed here.
In anticipation of the refurbishment, during which time the organ would be out of commission,
an opportunity arose to purchase and install a Viscount Envoy 35F digital organ
in the summer of 2016.